Thursday, November 15, 2012

Delightful Cranberry Sauce

It can be difficult to get through the holidays without sugar, dairy or gluten while still feeling satisfied with the winter experience. I have experimented with some recipes so that Christian and I can enjoy a healthy, tasty Thanksgiving dinner. 

I made this cranberry sauce for a Thanksgiving get together with my mom and it received rave reviews. Two people told me that they don't generally like cranberry sauce, but they liked mine. My ego was boosted quite a bit, I am not one to lie. [Although, I must admit that this is a very slightly altered version of a recipe I found on epicurious.]
 

Cranberry Sauce

15oz cranberries
1 3/4 cups unfiltered apple juice
3/4 cup honey
4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tbsp orange zest
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 bay leaf

1. Combine all above ingredients in an appropriately sized sauce pan. Heat over medium heat. The sauce should start to simmer. Cook until berries burst and the sauce thickens to your liking, about 20 minutes. Keep in mind that as the sauce cools it will thicken even more. Serve warm or cold, however you prefer. 

Yum. Wishing everyone a healthy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment