Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Road Trip the Healthy [and Cheap] Way

I love road trips. Mainly because I love to drive, think and sing [not well, mind you]. Road-trips are usually chock-full of gas station "food", energy drinks and Mickey D's. On our most recent road trip to Bozeman I decided to have a fun excursion without all of the sugar, preservatives and taurine. It was actually pretty easy, but it did take a bit of preparation.

A little grilled chicken for some tasty lean protein.
Carrots to keep those eyes healthy [and alert].
And we just love cheese, so I had to throw some in there. There's really no great redeeming quality about cheese, but I eat it almost every day because I love it.


Avocados are a wonderful source of good fats [monounsaturated and polyunsaturated]. Plus they are really delicious. Although, I did have to bring a knife to cut these bad boys.
Bananas are perfect on-the-go food, they come in their own little wrapper. They are high in potassium, magnesium and vitamin c which is helpful because no one wants to get sick on a road-trip.
Apples and applesauce. An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Enough said? [Oh, and don't forget a spoon for the applesauce]
Trail mix. Ok, so I am not quite sure if what we made is considered trail mix or just granola. It consisted of granola, almonds, walnuts, pecans, raisins, and other dried fruit, so you decide. Whatever you want to call it, it was a delicious and nutritious snack.

Lunch meat. I will be the first to admit that lunch meat is not the healthiest option, but it is easily transported and paired with cheese is a great little snack [and you could do a lot worse].
Hard-cooked eggs are a great on-the-go protein. I always make sure that we have some in the fridge in case I need some quick protein.

Finally, any road-trip would not be complete without coffee.

This fed us for two days, it was healthy and much cheaper than if we had relied on fast food or dining out. And all it required was a little prepration, a small cooler and some basic dining utensils.

Let the healthy road-trips continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment