Thursday, December 8, 2011

Coconut Oil

My goal is to eventually not use anything on my body that would be unsafe or unhealthy to put in my body. This is a long process because I also do not like to waste anything, although I am moving along nicely [if I do say so myself].

Anyhow, about a year ago I stopped using lotion in favor of coconut oil, which you can cook and bake with [fitting into my goal], but I'll get to that later. Coconut oil contains phospholipids, which are also found in the oil that our bodies produce. Because this oil mimics our own body's, it is actually absorbed into our skin to moisturize and nourish [unlike most lotions]. Coconut oil also has a nice, light coconut scent [go figure]. It is a solid at room temperature, but liquefies at 75°F. I usually just run it under the warm water while I am in the shower to melt it. Coconut oil is a little thick, but it does not take long to absorb. I even use it on my face. Living in this cold, dry climate in Montana, my skin has been dryer than it ever was in California, but the coconut oil has really helped moisturize my skin. In my opinion, this is the best oil that can be used for skin nourishment.

So, cooking and baking you ask. Well, you can use coconut oil instead of butter, lard or shortening in any baking recipe. Coconut oil can also be used as a cooking oil for stir-fry, eggs, etc. Just keep in mind that the oil will add a light coconut flavor. Coconut oil is a great healthy alternative because it contains lauric acid which helps prevent harmful heart problems, the saturated fat that it contains are medium chain fatty acids which aid in weight loss and it can help ease digestive problems like IBS. And finally, coconut oil is a whole food, that does not contain any additives or chemicals.

You can find coconut oil at most health-food stores by the other cooking oils. It is best to get coconut oil that is organic, raw, unrefined, extra virgin and cold pressed. Okay, that sounds complicated, but the best one I have found that fits all of this criteria is Artisana [the middle one in the picture above]; it runs between $14-$16, but a jar lasts me a few months. I hope you give this a shot because it's much better than any lotion and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

All that said, coconut oil is just awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment