Thursday, June 28, 2012

I Remember... "Oh Shit"

This story really must start when I began working at Pick Up Stix, where Christian also worked. At the tender young age of 16 I had some church friends who were out of high school and more mentors than anything else. Shortly after I started working at Stix, two of these mentors separately gave me the same unsolicited advice: "stay away from Christian." They warned me of his womanizing ways [which eventually led to my first real conversation with Christian beginning with me saying "so, I hear you're a man-whore." True story.]. At the time I thought Christian was in his early twenties so I thought these warnings a bit preposterous. 


Fast forward about a year and a half.

About a month after Christian and I started hanging out, I decided it was time to confess my warm feelings for him to one of those wonderful mentors. This is how the conversation progressed:

Andrea: "Hey Mama, I have a confession to make."
Mama: "Okay..."
Andrea: "I have been hanging out with Christian Laws."
Mama: "Oh, honey, I don't care if you hang out with him, just as long as you don't like him."
Andrea: *silence*
Mama: "Oh, shit"

This mentor was very loving a protective toward me [and knew how easily my heart could be broken], so she was just doing her motherly duty by being concerned about this new relationship.

Once Christian and I officially started dating, every time I called Mama, the first thing out of her mouth would be "did you break up with him, yet?" No joke. She was very upset that I was quickly falling in love with this boy that had a sketchy track record. 

Two other people told me outright to break-up with Christian. 

Fast forward a couple of months, to when I was nearly inconsolable in Chicago.

I received a call from Mama. This is the first thing she said: "I like Christian. I hung out with him last night and I could tell that he really cares about you." I was so happy that she approved and that someone finally saw the Christian that I had come to know, a kind soul.

Fast forward six years, to today.

It is so funny to me now to think about Christians reputation within U4IC [our church's youth group]. Right now I know this really wonderful and generous husband who makes dinner, supports me when I get down about life and can frequently be caught snuggling with the kitties. It is so hard for me to reconcile this with his bad-boy reputation. It's pretty hilarious actually. Recently we were talking and he revealed a detail of his major transgression while in U4IC that I had previously not known and it shocked me that he could have made such a careless decision. Shame on you, young Christian, shame. 

 Sketchy track record and all, I love Christian. And we can laugh about the stupid decisions he made when he was just a young lad. I made poor choices, too, though they were more in the hairstyle and clothing realm. Silly, awkward young lass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment