Sunday, August 12, 2012

I Am No Superman

I have been on a Dave kick lately, so I figured I would explore why I enjoy him so much.

I love Dave Matthews.

Dave_Matthews.jpg
photo via moonbattery.com

I really admire him as a writer. He has written lyrics that are romantic, vulgar, intelectual, silly and some that tell a wonderful story. It's just amazing what he can do with the lyrics of his songs. And he has a beautiful voice. His voice has a way of throwing me into a thoughtful trance. Also, he has worked with some of my other admired musicians like Alanis Morrisette and Kenny Chesney.

Grey Street is one of my top three all-time favorite songs. The way he describes the hopelessness and desperation of depression is completely heartfelt; based on these lyrics one knows that he has dealt with depression himself. Also, the music that these lyrics are set to is relatively up beat for how dark the lyrics are, I appreciate this dynamic. 

I consider myself a casual writer of poetry, so I really respect and enjoy listening to his lyrics. Particularly the ones about religion and love. If you read them like poetry or just listen intently, most of his lyrics are very thoughtful, interesting and thought provoking. He [sometimes] really analyzes the subject he is writing about, and dives deep into it's meaning. I often find his writing insightful, especially for a modern musician. 

He has some really romantic, but not overly sappy songs that I adore. Christian always reminds me to listen to the lyrics carefully because while they are mostly sweet he does have a tendency to sneak in some crude lyrics. But hey, the guy makes almost anything sound romantic; I think that deserves some credit.

I love truly heartfelt music. I love Vietnam-era stuff, early 90's angst-filled stuff. I enjoy when you can really feel that the person was dealing with something when they were writing and/or performing the song. Eddie Vedder is another writer that I completely admire. 

Most importantly, Dave Matthews wrote the beautiful song Christian and I danced to at our wedding and I think it was a perfect representation of our relationship.

Anyway, I love Dave Matthews.

No comments:

Post a Comment