Friday, July 8, 2011

Lemon Crumb Cake with Rhubarb and Blueberries

So, I found myself with a massive amount of rhubarb and had no idea what to do with it. I mean, I have heard of rhubarb pie, but I generally like to try something more interesting than what I can buy at the grocery store. I searched and searched for an interesting rhubarb recipe and found one that I altered quite a bit and it turned out wonderfully.
Now, I have never really had much rhubarb before; so I don't know if this is usually the case, but I couldn't really taste the rhubarb much. This was really fun to make and tasted really good [if I do say so myself].
By the way, I do intend on blogging about things other than just recipes, but this is what it is so far.

Lemon Crumb Cake with Rhubarb and Blueberries


*for the cake*
1 1/2 cups rhubarb, thinly sliced
1 cup flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp butter, room temperature
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp sugar, separated
2 egg yolks
2 tsp lemon juice
zest of one medium lemon
2/3 cup milk
1 cup blueberries

*for crumb topping*
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
5 tbsp butter, cold

~ Place the sliced rhubarb in a small bowl and add 2 tbsp sugar. Mix and set aside.
~ Butter an 8-inch cake pan. Line pan with waxed paper and butter that as well. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°.
~ Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl. Set aside.
~ In a large bowl, beat butter and remaining sugar until creamy using a mixer. Add egg yolks, lemon juice and lemon zest; mix just until combined.
~ Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk until combined.
~ Pour mixture into pan. Sprinkle the blueberries and sugared rhubarb over the cake mixture.
~ Bake for 25 minutes.
~ While the cake is baking, make the crumb topping. Mix the brown sugar and flour in a small bowl. Cut the butter into small chunks and add to the brown sugar mixture. Using your hands, grind the butter into the brown sugar until it forms small clumps.
~ When the cake has baked for 30 minutes, sprinkle the crumb topping on and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
~ Do not toothpick test the cake, it will not come out clean. The cake is done when the crumb topping is browned.
~ Cool the cake for about an hour. Then invert it onto a plate and invert again onto a serving platter. Gently peel off the waxed paper.
~ Cut into pie-sized pieces and enjoy :)


1 comment:

  1. I've been wanting to make something with rhubarb for a while now! It is everywhere! I'll have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete